Thousand Oaks is finished and it’s so beautiful! This is my first professionally quilted quilt — Lynn Jones of Lynn’s Quilting Studio long armed it in an oak leaf and acorn pattern and it’s perfect!
I finished this lovely art quilt — it’s Exhausted Octopus‘s Sea Glass quilt method! I did an online workshop on the technique and this was my first result!
I’ve been making a few of these blocks every time I sew, and it’s so much fun! I try to keep all the peels connected through colour and mix up the background prints. I think I’ll try one block with pale peels against black prints!
Trying out my new sewing machine (Janome MC6650!) and wanted to play with machine quilting fusible collage elements. I love the shape of orange peels, so combined colourful appliqués with warm monochrome backgrounds in scrappy four patches. I added the central circle to tie the blocks together. I used the free orange peel template at Charming Peels at Moda– the […]
NB: Edyta Sitar’s Thousand Oaks quilt pattern is available on her website or in her book, Patches of Blue. I’m a collage artist and I found choosing the fabrics for this appliqué project almost exactly like composing the materials for a paper or multi media collage. You need 9 fat quarters worth of fabrics for the appliqués. From each fabric […]
My current active project is Edyta Sitar’s Thousand Oaks Quilt (you can find the pattern on her website and in her book, Patches of Blue). Sitar has based her design on the very old appliqué block often called Oak Leaf and Reel, which has a history in the United States dating back at least to the 1830s. Barbara Brackman has […]
I bought Edyta Sitar’s book Patches of Blue which arrived a few days ago, and I’ve been working on this appliqué pattern. I’ll post more details next week , but I just wanted to share a photo of my first blocks!
Over the last week and half I’ve made three versions of this pillow: in blue and whites, in green and in reds. My first pillow was the blue and white one. I fussy cut lots of circles and auditioned them together, I ended up removing those that were too turquoise, and kept the grounding colour navy. I used all kinds […]